[Wrf-users] interpolating to height above ground

Kevin Matthew Nuss wrf at nusculus.com
Thu Nov 25 11:41:06 MST 2010

Hi,

I wanted to expand on what Hannes contributed about converting geopotential
height to actual height so that newcomers do not get the wrong impression:

PH and PHB are staggered in the Z direction, meaning that they are at the
tops and bottoms of grid cells. That is fine for the heights of vertical
winds, but for horizontal winds, other prognostic variables, and most
diagnostic variables, the center of the cell should be used. You can average
the top and bottom to get the center. For the cell at vertical level 'k,'
height above sea level is:

     *(((PH(k)+PH(k+1)) / 2) + ((PHB(k)+(PHB(k+1)) / 2) / 9.81**
*
Call me lazy if you like (everyone else does), but WRF already makes part of
that calculation and puts it in an unstaggered variable for the geopotential
height at the cell center. That variable is PHP, so height above sea level
for middle of cell(j,i) at level 'k' is PHP(k,j,i) / 9.81. In the subroutine
calc_php, it uses this code:

    *php(i,k,j) = 0.5*(phb(i,k,j)+phb(i,k+1,j)+ph(i,k,j)+ph(i,k+1,j))*

But by default, WRF does not output PHP, so in Registry.EM, you would have
to change the line:

    *state    real   php            ikj     dyn_em      1         -
r     "php"  "geopotential"             "m2 s-2"*

    *state    real   php            ikj     dyn_em      1         -      rh
    "php"  "geopotential"             "m2 s-2"*

But don't forget to divide by 9.81. And if you hadn't noticed, WRF
internally holds variables with a different index order than it outputs
them. Hope that helps whichever folks need to know such things (I happen to
know Sam already knew that).

Kevin