[Wrf-users] perturbation potential temperature

Agnes Mika agnes.mika at bmtargoss.com
Mon Sep 6 01:29:30 MDT 2010

Hallo Liu,

 The conversion is quite simple. The formula to convert perturbation
 potential temperature to total potential temperature in K can be
 found in the WRF users manual (p. 5-58 in the July 2009 edition,
 under section "WRF Output Fields", sub-section "Special WRF Output
 Variables) and it reads:

 Total pot. temp. in K = T + 300 (T is the perturbation pot. temp.)

 The forumla to convert total potential temperature to "normal"
 temperature can be found in virtually any meteorology book. The
 potential temperature is the temperature a parcel of air having a
 certain pressure p and temperature ("normal" temp.) would attain if
 brought dry adiabatically to a standard pressure p_0 (this is usually
 taken to be 1000 mbar).  The conversion formula is:

 pot. temp. = "normal" temp. * (p_0/p)^kappa

 From this: "normal" temp. = pot. temp. * (p/p_0)^kappa

 p_0 = 1000 mbar
 p is the pressure in mbar

 kappa is the Poisson constant (kappa = R/c_p), the ratio of the gas
 constant R to the specific heat at constant pressure c_p. For dry air
 kappa = 0.2854.

 Hope this helps,
Agnes

--
Dr. A'gnes Mika
Advisor, Meteorology and Air Quality

Tel:    +31 (0)527-242299
Fax:    +31 (0)527-242016
Web:    www.bmtargoss.com

BMT ARGOSS
P.O. Box 61, 8325 ZH Vollenhove
Voorsterweg 28, 8316 PT Marknesse
The Netherlands

Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the
use of the mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, you
are not allowed to take any action based upon it or to copy it,
forward, distribute or disclose its contents and you should delete it
from your system. BMT ARGOSS does not accept liability for any errors
or omissions in the context of this e-mail or its attachments which
arise as a result of internet transmission, nor accept liability for
statements which are those of the author and clearly not made on
behalf of BMT ARGOSS.