[Wrf-users] Doubt regarding Wind speed measurement in WRF-ARW model output

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Mon May 17 12:06:09 MDT 2010

Dipak,

For WRF state variables such as winds, the output is for a particular instant in time (or more precisely, the values of the wind components following the integration of the model over the most recent time step). They are not averaged over any specific time period, unlike some flux variables such as radiative and heat fluxes which may be averaged over a certain time interval (e.g. the history interval).

Check the units of your observational data and be sure they are the same as the WRF wind units (m/s), and if the obs winds are in different units, convert them to m/s.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org