[Wrf-users] more WRF 3.2 issues: delayed initialization of nests and fine_input_stream

Marcos Tesouro Montecelo marcos.tesouro at meteogalicia.es
Tue Apr 20 04:51:47 MDT 2010

Hi WRF-help,

thank you very much for the information.
I had the same problem, but I was working with 3 grids.
I have just execute the WRF v3.2 and the results seem fine

Regards, Marcos

wrfhelp escribió:
> In V3.2, when you use auxiliary input such as this input option
> (fine_input_stream = 0, 2, implies
> that you are using auxiliary input stream 2), you need to set the
> io_form for it to define the data format.
> In this case, add io_form_auxinput2 = 2 in &time_control. In previous
> versions, it was set in the registry by
> default. This is a result of expanded IO capability in other areas.
>
> wrfhelp
>
> On Apr 19, 2010, at 1:37 PM, wrf-users-owner at ucar.edu wrote:
>

>> From: "Zulauf, Michael" <Michael.Zulauf at iberdrolausa.com>
>> Date: April 19, 2010 1:36:31 PM MDT
>> To: <wrf-users at ucar.edu>
>> Subject: more WRF 3.2 issues: delayed initialization of nests and
>> fine_input_stream
>>

>> Hi again, WRF users. . .
>>
>> I've come across another issue with WRF V3.2 that seemed to work fine
>> with WRF V3.1.1 and earlier.  The netcdf problems I mentioned earlier
>> continue, but playing with optimization does seem to have an impact.
>> I'm hopeful that I'll find some settings that have reasonable
>> performance and also don't hang occasionally on netcdf output.  The
>> new
>> issue seems separate.
>>
>> I delay the initialization of the inner grids in the model runs I
>> described earlier (outer domain at 27 km, nests at 9km, 3km and 1km).
>> The nest initializations are delayed by 3 hours, 6 hours, and 9
>> hours -
>> times which coincide with the GFS input data.  I believe I have set
>> input_from_file  and fine_input_stream so that static data like
>> topography comes from the wrfinput_d0x files, and the atmospheric data
>> is interpolated from the parent grid.  Ie:
>> 	input_from_file                     =
>> .true.,.true.,.true.,.true.,.true.,
>> 	fine_input_stream                   = 0, 2, 2, 2,
>>
>> But when I look at the wrfout files, it looks like _all_ of the data
>> is
>> being interpolated from the parent grid, so we get no benefit of the
>> higher resolution topography.  The high resolution topography is in
>> the
>> wrfinput_d0x files, and the time of the data appears to be correct (at
>> the time that the nests are supposed to initialize).
>>
>> When run with V3.1.1, I see the high resolution topography in both the
>> input and output files, as I should.
>>
>> I've also found that if I use V3.2 and initialize the nests at the
>> same
>> time as the outer domain (at the beginning), it also seems to work
>> fine
>> then.  So it only seems to be a problem (for me) when I use delayed
>> initialization with the nests.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>
>> --
>> Mike Zulauf
>> Meteorologist
>> Wind Asset Management
>> Iberdrola Renewables
> [...]

MeteoGalicia
     Dr. Marcos Tesouro Montecelo
     Dpto. Predición Numérica e Investigación
  	Rúa Roma, 6
15.707 Santiago de Compostela
	Tel: +34 981 957 462
Fax: +34 981 957 466