[Wrf-users] single grid point surface peculiarities in SNOW & TSLB out of real.exe (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mark Stoelinga mstoelinga at 3tier.com
Mon Mar 15 16:25:35 MDT 2010

Hi Bob,

I have a fix for this precise problem thanks to Michael Duda at NCAR.  WRF was producing "eternal lake effect storms" over lakes on the Tibetan Plateau that were being assigned SST values representative of the Indian Ocean...yikes!  But Michael's fix has eliminated the really bad LSTs and all works fine now.

Unfortunately it is not a trivial thing...it involves transforming your landuse data set to have a new "inland lakes" index (using code that Michael Duda at NCAR has written) (or just obtaining the transformed data from Michael or myself), making minor changes to GEOGRID.TBL and namelist.wps, and running a new program after metgrid called "tavgsfc.exe", whose output is then used by real.exe to define lake temperatures as the diurnally averaged surface air temperature during the time period of the metgrid analysis.

If you are using multiple resolutions of landuse, you would have to transform all of them with Michael's code.  I've only used it on the 30s landuse data set, and so now I use my transformed 30s landuse data with lakes for all WRF grids of ~1km or coarser.

I can give you more details if you're interested.  I think I have an old email somewhere that gives a step-by-step to someone else who asked about it.

It would be really great if the NCAR WRF team could incorporate this fix into the standard WPS and WRF systems in a manner that makes it much more transparent to the user.  But I don't know if that is in their queue or not.

Mark

--
Mark Stoelinga, PhD
Senior Scientist

3TIER Inc.
2001 6th Avenue, Suite 2100
Seattle, WA 98121
USA
+1 206.708.8588 direct
+1 206.325.1573 main
+1 206.708.8589 fax

www.3tier.com

This email message and all attachments transmitted with it are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.