[Wrf-users] POST PROCESSING WITH RIP

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Tue Mar 2 12:39:04 MST 2010

Hello Asnor,

If you are not using a cumulus parameterization on domains 3 and 4, convective precip will be zero on these domains, because all precip will be generated by processes that are explicitly resolved by the model. For all domains, whether or not a cumulus scheme is active, cumulative total precip is given by:

Total precip = RAINC + RAINNC

where RAINC is convective precip and RAINNC is non-convective precip. When comparing to observations, always compare TOTAL precip from the model.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org