[Wrf-users] Comparing U,V 10 meters to observations

Michael McAtee Michael.McAtee at aero.org
Wed Jan 27 09:05:38 MST 2010

Jimy,

You indicated that "In cases of stronger winds the averaging time can be
considered equivalent to the advective time-scale across a grid box..."
Does this relationship hold for light wind conditions or is there some
different relationship that applies.  I ask because as you know the air
quality community often makes comparisons of  model (WRF and MM5) 10-m
wind to surface observations  for air pollution events that usually occur
in stagnate, light wind conditions.

Mike

Michael D. McAtee, Ph.D.
Senior Project Engineer, Meteorological Satellite Systems
The Aerospace Corporation
101 Nelson Drive
Offutt, AFB, NE 68113-1023
email:  michael.mcatee at aero.org