[Wrf-users] mcip error for wrf outputs

Kevin Matthew Nuss wrf at nusculus.com
Thu Oct 22 14:18:54 MDT 2009

Hi,
DYN_OPT was an output variable before version 3 of WRF. It indicates
which "core" generated the data - either NMM or ARW. I had the same
problem with the conversion for CALMET/CALPUFF which is similar to
CMAQ. I was able to determine that the conversion program, called
CALWRF, looked for but did not use the value for DYN_OPT, so I changed
the conversion program code to look for "FEEDBACK" instead. (I also
had to tell it to not look for "V2" for the WRF version).

If CMAQ needs this variable, you can set the value and set it for
output in the Registry.EM; it is still in there. I haven't tested this
but maybe change the line in Registry.EM from:

rconfig   integer dyn_opt                 namelist,dynamics	1             -

rconfig   integer dyn_opt                 namelist,dynamics	1
   2  h "DYN_OPT"

and recompile WRF. Or you may be able to find and use some NetCDF
utility to add "DYN_OPT" to your WRF output files. I have not used WRF
NMM, so I don't know if what I suggested works for that. And a more
recent version of CMAQ may have fixed your problem. And maybe someone
with specific experience will have a better answer.

Kevin