[Wrf-users] WRF on BlueGene/L

Andrew Porter andrew.porter at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Oct 2 07:37:10 MDT 2009

Hello,

> We have been running WRF on our Intel based linux cluster and we wanted to
> try to run it on a BlueGene/L that we have access to. So, I just wanted to
> enquire as to whether anyone on this mailing list has had experience running WRF
> on this platform, and whether any open issues are present. The BlueGene/L that
> we have has 8096 processors.

I have run on a BG/P up to ~23K processors. Up to 8096 I was able to do
this without problems (albeit playing with the node occupation because
of the low memory per node). On large core counts I found the default
netcdf IO layer of WRF becomes a huge bottleneck. Although I haven't
tried it on the BG, I've found slides on t'internet that indicate that
this is why the parallel netcdf layer was put into WRF.

God bless,

Andy.

--
Dr. Andrew Porter