[Wrf-users] Computer needs for WRF

John F Stamm jstamm at usgs.gov
Wed Sep 30 09:25:31 MDT 2009

Dear WRF users,

I recently received funding for a research project that includes the use
of WRF to simulate climate in the upper Missouri River basin.  I have a
Sun Ultra (with dual co-processors), but I understand that compiling WRF
on a Sun with Solaris OS is challenging.  I may have the opportunity to
purchase a second workstation for running WRF.  Any suggestions?  This
machine would be mostly to run WRF to set up model runs and to become more
familiar with the model.  We would not use it for extended runs.  Would a
Dell workstation with Red Hat Linux work well?  Thanks for any feedback
from the WRF community.

John

John Stamm
Hydrologist, Ph.D., P.G.
U.S. Geological Survey
South Dakota Water Science Center
jstamm at usgs.gov

Adjunct Professor
South Dakota School of Mines & Technology