[Wrf-users] Files named ._* in latest WRFV3.1.1.TAR.gz file

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Sat Sep 19 00:22:09 MDT 2009

Dear all,

I have noticed the presence of many files named ._* in the latest WRFV3.1.1.TAR.gz source code file. I have never found this type of file in the WRF code distribution before. They all have a size of 193 bytes, and there is one of these files for every file and directory in the WRFV3 directory hierarchy. Do these ._* files serve any purpose, and if not, why are they there? I also noticed that the original WRFV3.1.1.TAR.gz file (released around July 31) did not contain any ._* files, but the newest tar file (which I downloaded today) does have them. I am puzzled that the tar file has changed since July 31 without any notification of an update, bug fix, etc.

If anyone has any insight on this, I would be interested.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org