[Wrf-users] Strange problem with nesting

Kemp, Eric M (IS) ERIC.KEMP at ngc.com
Fri Sep 4 07:05:10 MDT 2009

Dear WRF users,

I'm experiencing a strange problem with WRF when nesting is used.  For certain
grid configurations, using nesting will cause some fields (e.g., terrain) to
shift eastward in parts of the domain.  In one case so far, the offset is
clearly rectangular.  I have tested both single and multiple cpus with Intel
MPI, and I haven't noticed any difference in the way the fields are offset.
Has anyone encountered this in their work?  Note that the dimensions of the
inner-grid match the requirements mentioned in the User's Guide, i.e., (nx-1)
and (ny-1) are divisible by the parent_to_grid_ratio.

I've attached the namelist.wps and namelist.input.  I also have a PNG file of
the terrain field (plotted with RIP) illustrating my problem, but it's too big
(55K) to post to the list; I can try uploading it to a FTP site.

-Eric

Eric M. Kemp
Meteorologist
Northrop Grumman Information Systems
Advisory Services Division (TASC)
4801 Stonecroft Boulevard
Chantilly, VA 20151
301-286-9768              (NASA Goddard Office)
703-633-8300 x7078 (Chantilly SLEET Lab)
703-633-8300 x8278 (Chantilly Office)
703-449-3400              (Chantilly Fax)