[Wrf-users] hardware questions

Zulauf, Michael Michael.Zulauf at iberdrolausa.com
Mon Aug 17 10:49:39 MDT 2009

Hi all. . .

--------------

I sent this message a few days ago, but since my email address had
changed since I subscribed, it wasn't immediately accepted (pending
moderator approval).  I've changed my settings, and I'm resubmitting.  I
apologize if this yields duplicate postings. . .

--------------

I have a quick question to WRF users and anybody else who might feel
like responding.  My group currently runs WRF on a cluster of dual core
/ dual CPU nodes (ie, 4 cores per node).  These nodes are a couple years
old.  We're looking to upgrade our system gradually (adding some newer
nodes, and then maybe eventually retiring old nodes or just building a
separate cluster).

The question is, what are people's thoughts about the best hardware
choices, keeping price/performance in mind.  At the WRF Workshop in
June, I heard a lot about the quad core Nehalems.  It looks like you can
get dual quad core systems for a pretty decent price (ie, 8 cores per
node).  Does this sound like a good setup?

In general, most of our simulations are for pretty small grids, and
don't need to be run on more than a node or two.  On the other hand, we
do run some that have large grids, and they need to be run on up to 8 to
10 nodes (currently) due to memory or performance constraints.  And with
faster processors, better scaling, and a quick interconnect, I could see
us starting to run much larger grids.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Zulauf
Meteorologist

This message is intended for the exclusive attention of the address(es) indicated.  Any information contained herein is strictly confidential and privileged, especially as regards person data,
which must not be disclosed.  If you are the intended recipient and have received it by mistake or learn about it in any other way, please notify us by return e-mail and delete this message from
 your computer system. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, alteration, filing or sending of this message and/or any attached files to third parties may lead to legal proceedings being taken. Any
opinion expressed herein is solely that of the author(s) and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Iberdrola. The sender does not guarantee the integrity, speed or safety of this
message, not accept responsibility for any possible damage arising from the interception, incorporation of virus or any other manipulation carried out by third parties.