[Wrf-users] Hot lakes

Mark Stoelinga stoeling at washington.edu
Mon Jun 8 17:09:16 MDT 2009

Hi,

I'm running WRF over a domain that includes the Tibetan plateau, and
at fairly high resolution, so that many of the high-elevation lakes
are resolved.  WPS assigns these lakes a water surface temperature
that is apparently taken from the NNRP SST field, which has values
similar to the nearby Indian Ocean. These are much too warm for the
Tibetan lakes, thus producing continuous lake-effect precip.  Does
anyone have a simple fix for avoiding this problem?

I'm not looking for perfection here, just something that will yield
more reasonable LSTs for these high-elevation lakes, like assigning
them the same temperature as nearby soil temperature or some such thing.

Mark Stoelinga