[Wrf-users] How to produce a first guess

Satyaban Bishoyi Ratna satyaban_2001 at rediffmail.com
Thu May 28 22:23:29 MDT 2009

Hi,
The NCEP FNL/GFS gridded data can be used as first guess.
You can run real.exe using this data. Your observation
data is not coming to picture to use as first guess.

Regards
Satyaban

On Thu, 28 May 2009 06:09:49 +0530  wrote
>Hi,
>
>i am try to perform data assimilation using WRFDA. And i use my own
>observation data (point observation from various sites) which is not in any
>of the popular format, such as NETCDF or GRIB, so my observation data was
>transformed to LITTLE_R. And i currently passed the step of running the
>obsproc.exe for pre-process my LITTLE_R formatted data.
>
>For running the da_wrfvar.exe, we need the observation file generated from
>obsproc.exe, background error file (i will use var/run/be.dat.cv3 for try)
>and the first guess file. For the first guess file, i see some post that i
>can obtain the first guess from runnig WPS real.exe or wrf.exe. But before
>running real.exe, it need to run ungrib.exe, and the input file of
>ungrib.exe is gridded data. So the question is, my observation data is not
>in any format, and not gridded, how can i transform my own data to gridded
>data and finally producing a first guess file ? Thank you very much
>
>Regards,
>Patrick

Satyaban Bishoyi Ratna
Computational Atmospheric Sciences Team
Scientific & Engineering Computing Group
Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC)
Pune University Campus, Ganeshkhind
Pune - 411 007, Maharashtra, India
E-mail: satyabanb at cdac.in
Tel (O): +91-020-2570 4226,  (Cell): +91-094223 56326