[Wrf-users] Producing >2Gb NetCDF files with WRF

Kemp, Eric M (IS) ERIC.KEMP at ngc.com
Tue May 19 10:02:36 MDT 2009

Dear WRF Community:

I'm unable to produce WRF NetCDF files larger than 2 Gb in size.  (I'm
experimenting with very large domains for hurricane and climate simulations.
Also, I'm using 64bit executables on a 64bit OS.)  When I run real.exe with
debugging turned on, I see a "One or more variable sizes violate format
constraints" message from NetCDF.  The on-line NetCDF documentation suggests
using a "64 bit offset" mode when first creating the file.  Is there a reason
WRF doesn't do this?  Is this a bug, or is there a compile time or runtime
option for turning this on?

Thanks,

-Eric

Eric M. Kemp
Meteorologist
Northrop Grumman Information Systems
Advisory Services Division (TASC)
4801 Stonecroft Boulevard
Chantilly, VA 20151
301-286-9768              (NASA Goddard Office)
703-633-8300 x7078 (Chantilly SLEET Lab)
703-633-8300 x8278 (Chantilly Office)
703-449-3400              (Chantilly Fax)