[Wrf-users] Confused about model height

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Wed Mar 11 13:10:29 MDT 2009

Hello Lynn,

The lowest model level is a surface of constant sigma (native hybrid terrain-following vertical coordinate) so near the ground, the height of model level surfaces will follow the surface topography. However, John was referring to the geopotential height on constant pressure surfaces, not on native model coordinate surfaces. The raw WRF history files (wrfout*) contain fields on native model coordinate surfaces, which is probably what you are looking at. But ARWpost vertically interpolates the WRF history output to constant pressure surfaces.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org