[Wrf-users] Re: NaN values

Andrea Hahmann ahah at risoe.dtu.dk
Tue Dec 16 01:03:08 MST 2008

Dear Jorge and Goran

This type of behavior is quite common in atmospheric models. Some
synoptic situations are just more unstable than others (maybe the wind
direction in relation to topography, intense convection, etc.). And as
pointed out by Jorge, might respond differently to different
parameterizations.  Usually decreasing the time step would make the
particular simulation complete.  Other times smoothing the terrain
helps.

Regards,
Andrea

Andrea Hahmann, PhD.
Senior Scientist
Phone direct +45 4677 5471
andrea.n.hahmann at risoe.dk

Wind Energy Division
Risø National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy
Technical University of Denmark
Building 118, P.O. Box 49
DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark
Tel +45 4677 4677