[Wrf-users] Bad SMSTAV Message in NMM core execution

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Thu Nov 13 19:44:30 MST 2008

Hello Mac,

The 'bad SMSTAV' message is produced by subroutine SURFCE found in the source code file module_sf_lsm_nmm.F in directory 'phys'. The value of SMSTAV is obtained from a call to subroutine SFLX in the same source file (SMSTAV=SOILQW; the corresponding dummy argument is SOILW in the declaration of subroutine SFLX). It seems to be a soil wetness variable. Something is going wrong in the calculation of SOILW in subroutine SFLX. That's all I can determine without doing a lot more work.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org