[Wrf-users] WRF Benchmarking

jcrosby jcrosby at scotiaweather.com
Mon Oct 6 11:12:13 MDT 2008

Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone has done Benchmarking on WRF in a Single
system setup.  We are looking at purchasing new hardware in the near
future and was wondering if WRF scales at roughly the same rate.  As of
now we don't have any brand or speed in mind, so my testing and math is
based on theory and what has been observed with our 2 current systems.

Right now We have WRF installed on 2 systems.
System 1:  is a Dual core 2.2 Intel Duo.
System 2:  has 2 Intel Xeon 2.8 dual core CPUs.

Currently we are testing speeds in a WRF grid that is as follows:
Grid Point horizontal resolution = 4 km
grid point east-west (X direction) = 229
grid points north-south(Y direction) = 229
Vertical Levels = 40
Time step = 24 seconds

We did a few runs and noticed that on System 1 it took that grid roughly
10 hours to complete while on System 2 it took roughly 6 hours.

Now we need to test it on a Quad core Machine and again on a Dual-Quad
core machine, however we do not have the Quad core machines available.
However, working with those figures I figure that a Quad core machine
will take roughly the same amount of time as System 2 does, based on
Core speeds and Communication speeds. Now, along those lines a Dual-Quad
core machine should cut the time down even further, I figure that grid
would drop from the current 6 hours to around 3 hours.

Would my assumptions on timing be roughly correct?

--
Joseph Crosby
Network Administrator
netadmin at scotiaweather.com