[Wrf-users] Poor scalability of WRFV221 on 8-core machine

Erick van Rijk erick at vanrijk.nl
Thu Oct 2 19:20:18 MDT 2008

My reasoning for using OMP is that my test machine is a single unit
MPI will only harm in that scenario.
The overhead of launching separate processes, duplicating the dataset
for every instance, is considerable and with omp the communication
latency is lower than MPI.

I agree that the available bandwidth per core declines if you add more
cores to share the same bus, but I expected that 2 Intel Xeon 5400
processors could handle that.

Erick