[Wrf-users] WRF sea breeze

Mikhail Titov mikhail.titov at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Sep 29 18:32:17 MDT 2008

Dear All,

I model diurnal-nocturnal cycle of see breeze for Australia (desert
pattern) using WRF v3.0 with ETA levelling.
But in the modelled one year mean wind off-show night breeze is much
better developed than on-shore day breeze.
In fact WRF (4-grid run: 27-9-3-1 km with local topography) fails to
reproduce on-shore day breeze to compare with observations.

My physical parameterisation is the next one:
 &physics
 mp_physics                           = 6,     6,     6,    6,
 mp_zero_out                          = 2,
 ra_lw_physics                        = 1,     1,     1,    1,
 ra_sw_physics                       = 1,     1,     1,    1,
 radt                                       = 27,    27,    27,   27,
 sf_sfclay_physics                   = 1,     1,     1,    1,
 sf_surface_physics                 = 2,     2,     2,    2,
 bl_pbl_physics                       = 1,     1,     1,    1,
 bldt                                       = 0,     0,     0,    0,
 cu_physics                            = 1,     1,     0,    0,
 cudt                                      = 3,     3,     3,    0,
 isfflx                                      = 1,
 ifsnow                                   = 0,
 icloud                                   = 1,
 surface_input_source             = 1,
 num_soil_layers                    = 4,
 ucmcall                                = 0,
 mp_zero_out                        = 0,
 maxiens                              = 1,
 maxens2                             = 3,
 maxens3                             = 16,
 ensdim                               = 144,
 slope_rad                            = 0,
 topo_shading                      = 0,
 omlcall                               = 1,
 oml_hml0                           = 50.,
 oml_gamma                       = 0.13,

I use physical parameterization applied to desert places of Africa and
Arabia (WRF workshop, Boulder,  June 2008).
Also I use two-way nesting (feedback = 0).

Any suggestions about what kind of physical parameterization is better
to reproduce see breeze in WRF is highly appreciable.
Any experience how is better to model see breeze using WRF will be very
useful.

Many thanks,
Michael

Dr. Mikhail Titov