[Wrf-users] Results variability depending on processor count

Jan Ploski Jan.Ploski at offis.de
Thu Sep 18 07:26:36 MDT 2008

Hello,

WRF produces slightly different results depending on how many processors
are used in a shared memory run (of course, the "slight" differences
become bigger with integration time). I know that the general explanation
for this is "rounding errors". What I would like to understand is why the
rounding errors must appear at all. After all, data can be transmitted
exactly from one MPI process to another, so why does it matter how many
MPI processes are involved? I'd be grateful for a brief explanation...

Regards,
Jan Ploski

--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Jan Ploski