[Wrf-users] wrfv3 & mpi

Gerardo Cisneros gerardo at sgi.com
Wed Aug 27 14:37:47 MDT 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Jan Ploski wrote:
> [...]
> Here's one scalability comparison we did - 03 (OpenMP) vs. 05 (MPI over
> GigE) vs. 19 (MPI over InfiniBand):
>
> https://srvgrid01.offis.uni-oldenburg.de/wrf-benchmark/case.pl?case=conus12km_2001
>
> Up to 8 processes you should get a good speedup. [...]

I can scale 12km CONUS (computational costs only) using
WRFV3 out to 1700 cores, using a system with two quad-core
processors per node, IB interconnect, and running on all
cores of each node used.  I can't point you to a plot
because the benchmark page isn't ready for release.

Higher resolution models have been known to scale to
over 10,000 cores.

> [...] Have you tried a different MPI implementation
> (OpenMPI is very easy to compile and install in my experience).

And of course it's best if the MPI implementation knows
how to best take advantage of the interconnect.

Saludos,

Gerardo
--
Dr. Gerardo Cisneros	|SGI (Silicon Graphics, S.A. de C.V.)
Scientist             	|Av. Vasco de Quiroga 3000, Col. Santa Fe