[Wrf-users] wrfv3 & mpi

Rodrigo Delgado Urzúa rdelgado at dim.uchile.cl
Wed Aug 27 07:51:06 MDT 2008

Cesar Hernandez Baño wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using wrfv3 , with mpich 1.2.7p1. The problem is when I use more
> cpus/nodes in the cluster, the more slower runs the test.
>
> I have 4 pcs, Pentium 4 , four cpu each server. I run
> test/em_real/wrf.exe with mpirun
>
> Network cards are Gigabit; using 2 processes network traffic flows at
> 70 MBits aprox. Using 12 processes uses 150 MBit.
> When I use 2 processes, each CPU uses 80-90% aprox. Using 3 processes,
> each CPU uses 50-60%.
>
> What's the problem?
>
> Cheers

Hi Cesar,

I think that's a normal thing. The explanation is simple: more processes
in different machines implies more communication to perform computing.
This happens with relatively slow interconnects (as FastE or GigE) as
with the faster ones (e.g., Infiniband), the difference is the fast
interconnects have room to allow more traffic and low latencies than the
slow ones, so you can add CPUs to the simulation without compromise
performance. But even the fastest interconnects can be completely busy
when you add several CPUs to the simulation, resulting in lack of
performance.

Regards,

Rodrigo