[Wrf-users] Documentation of ARW output variables

Fast, Jerome D Jerome.Fast at pnl.gov
Tue Aug 26 10:00:34 MDT 2008

Jan,

QNDROPSOURCE is one of the arrays associated with the cloud-aerosol
interactions that our team at PNNL have added.  Cloud-aerosol interactions
are activated using PROGN in the namelist.input file, and can be run in 2
modes: 1) without chemistry and prescribing an aerosol number and 2) with
prognostic chemistry and aerosols.  It only works with the Lin microphysics,
but we are currently extending it to the Thompson and Morrison microphysics
options.

You are correct - there is very little documentation on this yet.  The best
information now is contained in the WRF-Chem tutorials from the past 2
years.  The 2007 tutorial is available on the link with the 2007 WRF
workshop. I'm not sure the 2008 tutorial is available yet on-line.  The
WRF/Chem version 3 user's guide (ruc.fsl.noaa.gov/wrf/WG11/) and our web
site (www.pnl.gov/atmospheric/research/wrf-chem/) also has some general
information, and the following papers are best references:

Chapman, E.G., W.I. Gustafson Jr., R.C. Easter, J.C. Barnard, S.J. Ghan,
M.S. Pekour, and J.D. Fast, 2008: Coupling aerosols-cloud-radiative
processes in the WRF-chem model: Investigating the radiative impact of large
point sources. Submitted to Atmos. Chem. Phys. (available on-line).

Gustafson Jr., W.I., E.G. Chapman, S.J. Ghan, and J.D. Fast, 2007: Impact on
modeled cloud characteristics due to simplified treatment of uniform cloud
condensation nuclei during NEAQS 2004. Geophys. Res. Lett., 34, L19809.

We will be writing up a more technical description of the cloud-aerosol
interactions (along with the rest of WRF-Chem developers) over the next 6
months.

Jerome

Jerome D. Fast, Ph.D.
Scientist
ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCE AND GLOBAL CHANGE DIVISION

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
P.O. 999, MSIN K9-30
Richland, WA  99352
Tel: 509-372-6116