[Wrf-users] radar assimilation using new wrf-var

Aimée Slangen A.Slangen at weer.nl
Thu Jun 26 04:36:46 MDT 2008

Dear Users!

I'm trying to assimilate radardata using WRF-Var v3.0.

To do this I put NL_USE_RADAR_OBS=true, NL_USE_RADAR_RV=true, NL_USE_RADAR_RF=true. The file ob01.radar containing the data is put in data/ob/2007020100/, together with ob.ascii.

My problem is that wrf-var does not seem to find the datafile:

--------------------------- WARNING ---------------------------

 WARNING FROM FILE: <A HREF="http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/people/wrfhelp/wrfvar/code/trunk/da_scan_obs_radar.html">da_scan_obs_radar.inc</a>  LINE:      39

 Cannot open radar file ob01.radar

 --------------------------- WARNING ---------------------------

 WARNING FROM FILE: <A HREF="http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/people/wrfhelp/wrfvar/code/trunk/da_read_obs_radar.html">da_read_obs_radar.inc</a>  LINE:      43

 Cannot open radar file ob01.radar

The file is called as follows: (in var/da/da_setup_structures)

        if (use_radarobs) then

            ! scan radar observation file

            write(filename(1:10), fmt='(a, i2.2,a)') 'ob', n,'.radar'

            call da_scan_obs_radar(iv, filename)

         end if

What I don't get here is what the location of the data file is!!?? It seems like there is only a filename given into the subroutine da_scan_obs_radar, and then this subroutine can't find the right  location of the file:

(in da_read/scan_obs_radar.inc)

   call da_get_unit(iunit)

   open(unit   = iunit,     &

        FILE   = trim(filename), &

        FORM   = 'FORMATTED',  &

        ACCESS = 'SEQUENTIAL', &

        iostat =  iost,     &

        STATUS = 'OLD')

   if (iost /= 0) then

      ! Missing file does not matter

      call da_warning(__FILE__,__LINE__, &

         (/"Cannot open radar file "//filename/))

      call da_free_unit(iunit)

      if (trace_use) call da_trace_exit("da_read_obs_radar")

      return

   end if

Does any of you have experience with radar assimilation using the latest version of WRFvar, or do you have an idea where I should put the data so wrf-Var can read it using the above routines??

All help will be very much appreciated!!

Thanks, Aimée