[Wrf-users] surface fields

Agnes Mika mika at argoss.nl
Wed Jun 25 03:14:16 MDT 2008

Dear WRF users,

 I need the surface (first model level, eta=1) values of the following
 variables: temperature (or potential temperature, doesn't matter) and
 water vapour content (mixing ratio or any other water vapour variable
 is fine).

 I saw in the WRF output that the only 3D variables which have their
 values on the first model level also present in the file are the
 geopotential (PH and PHB) and the vertical velocity (W). All the
 other 3D variables start one level above the surface.

 As for the temperature, I found two variables which might be usable:
 sea surface temperature (SST) and surface skin temperature
 (TSK). Could you please tell me the meaning of these variables? I was
 expecting them to be identical (temperature of the upper few mm
 layer) but they are (virtually) the same only above water and there
 are significant differences above land (up to about 5 K).

 As for the water vapour content, I couldn't find anything (though
 this is crucial for the study I am working on). Is there something I
 could use (some manipulation of the top layer soil moisture?) or do
 I need to be content with the 2m values?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Agnes

--

  dr. A'gnes Mika

  Meteorologist

  ARGOSS: Atmospheric, marine & coastal information, systems and consultancy.

  ARGOSS BV
  PO Box 61
  8325ZH Vollenhove
  The Netherlands
  Tel +31 (0)527242299
  Fax +31 (0)527242016
  Web  http://www.argoss.nl/

  Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer

  This message and its attachments can contain confidential and/or
  proprietary information which could be subject to legal privilege or
  immunity. Unless you are a named addressee or receive this email on
  behalf of a named addressee you may not use, copy or disclose the
  contents in any manner. Should you receive this message in error, you
  are kindly requested to inform the sender and to delete all electronic
  or paper copies. ARGOSS BV does not accept any liability for any
  errors or omissions in the context of this email or its attachments
  which arise as a result of Internet transmission, nor accept liability
  for statements which are those of the author and not clearly made on
  behalf of ARGOSS.

----- End forwarded message -----