[Wrf-users] Tests with adaptive time step in WRF-ARW (v3)

Eduardo Penabad Ramos edu.penabad at meteogalicia.es
Tue Jun 17 09:36:54 MDT 2008

Hello!

we are running a setup of 3 nested grids with WRF-ARW (v3) over Galicia (NW
Iberian Peninsula), with dx=36,12 and 4 km.

We are testing the adaptive time step with this grid configuration, and with
the following set of physics:

Radiation: Longwave RRTM, Shortwave MM5-Dudhia
PBL: YSU (with sfclay: Monin-Obukhov from MM5 MRF)
Surface: 5 layer MM5 LSM
Cumulus: Kain-Fritsch
Microphysics: WSM6

With this setup we have experienced some problems related with Kain-Fritsch
(we guess). After about 40-50 hours of simulation, error messages appear in
the WRF output textfiles:
WOULD GO OFF TOP: KF_ETA_PARA I,J,DPTHMX,DPMIN
where NaNs appeared for DPTHMAX
We have tested with Betts-Miller-Janjic cumulus parameterization, and
although no error messages appeared, wrfout files also have some NaNs
inside.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Eduardo Penabad
MeteoGalicia