[Wrf-users] Re: IDV and VAPOR

Alan Norton alan at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 3 12:15:42 MDT 2008

Mark,
Thanks for your input.  I realize that there is a lot of overlap in the
descriptions of these tools so it is worthwhile helping users decide
what tools are most relevant in their research.  It is important to note
that this is not a UCAR policy question.   There are many different
visualization packages either developed or supported by UCAR (e.g. NCAR
graphics, NCL, Vis5d, PyNgl,...) and each package has application areas
of particular importance and strength.  Likewise, there are, and always
will be, areas where tools have overlap. UCAR generally is interested in
making available many tools of value to the research community.

I also agree it would be valuable to hear feedback from users of both
tools and other visualization tools as well, to help new users select
the best tool for their work.

VAPOR has its origins in the turbulence research community and only
recently have we been addressing the needs of the weather community.
VAPOR is particularly strong at interactive visualization of very large
(e.g. terabyte) data sets.   VAPOR utilizes some of the most recent
advances in hardware graphics acceleration, for interactive volume
rendering and isosurfacing.  VAPOR is also strong in flow integration
capabilities, including a variety of techniques for exploring both
steady and unsteady flow (including pathlines, streamlines, and
image-based flow).

On the other hand, VAPOR's support for geoscience data is not as mature
as IDV's.  Applying VAPOR to a WRF dataset requires a data conversion
step because (in order to facilitate interactive access to very large
datasets) VAPOR datasets are saved in a wavelet transformed format.  The
'ingesting' of native WRF data requires this initial conversion step and
is not as immediate as with IDV.

Many needs of weather visualization are not yet addressed in VAPOR.  We
are in the process of identifying and adding capabilities that are most
important to understanding WRF datasets.  These include, for example,
visualization of 2D variables, and support for the various map
projections that are used in geoscience data visualization.

-Alan