[Wrf-users] IDV and VAPOR

Bridgham Christopher J TSgt 36 OSS/OSW christopher.bridgham at andersen.af.mil
Mon Jun 2 14:43:02 MDT 2008

Hi Mark,

	I have used IDV before using WRF data and it is a great package.
The system is easy to install on either a Windows or Linux/Unix system
as it uses Java. However, this is also it's weakness as Java is very
demanding memory-wise on any system. While you can use IDV to generate
batch images, it can stall out the system or fail in mid batch. It can
generate GIS related information as well, in the form of KML files that
you can view in Google Earth or NASA World Wind. You can view the WRF
data directly after post-processing using the grib or netCDF files.
	I have not had experience with VAPOR, but as far as I understand
VAPOR wasn't just desinged for meteorolgical applications.
	Hope this helps somewhat, no doubt other users will be along to
expand on this information.

Respectfully,
Christopher J. Bridgham, TSgt, USAF
NCOIC Systems Element