[Wrf-users] joining binary files into one file

Abraham freexavi at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 21:54:46 MDT 2008

Thank you very much Eric
Abra

You cannot use 'cat' to combine binary files. The resulting file will not have the correct
 structure. You need to use a fortran or C program to read all of the data in each file, then
write that
 data into one file (in the proper order). You need to know how the input files were written in
 order to correctly read the data in a program.

There is one situation where you CAN use 'cat' to combine data files, and that is if they are in
 GRIB format. (I'm not sure if it works with GRIB-2 files.) But you can't do this with binary or
 netcdf files.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org