[Wrf-users] testing, starting and everything else

Jan Ploski Jan.Ploski at offis.de
Wed Mar 19 04:29:00 MDT 2008

wrf-users-bounces at ucar.edu schrieb am 03/19/2008 10:54:04 AM:

> Hi again,
> Thanks to your precious suggestions I was able to compile WRF, now I
> need to test it!
> According to http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/wrfv2/runwrf.html I
> need wrf_real_input_em.* files from Standard Initialization (em_real
> case).
> I'm not sure, but I've somewhere else read that I need WPS to WRF...
> which is the right option?
> Sorry if these looks like stupid questions, but I've never faced WRF
> before (I'm just helping some people in setting it up...).

Hi,

I suggest that you try the Katrina case from the WRF tutorial:
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/index.htm

Anyway, here is a short administrator-level explanation of how the pieces
fit together for em_real:

wrf.exe consumes the following input files:

namelist.input  - created by yourself in a text editor
wrfinput_d*     - created by real.exe
wrfbdy_d*       - created by real.exe

and produces wrfout* files.

So you need to run real.exe first. real.exe consumes the following input
files:

namelist.input  - same as above
met_em.d*.nc    - created by running WPS programs geogrid.exe, ungrib.exe,
metgrid.exe

So you need to run WPS programs first, which need the following input
files:

namelist.wps    - created by yourself in a text editor
*.grb           - for example GFS GRIB files downloaded from the NCDC
NOMADS archive;
                  these files are referenced from namelist.wps

Alternatively, you can run wrf.exe using a "restart" file named wrfrst*
Then you don't need real.exe and WPS. You can obtain such a restart file
as output
from a previous WRF run. For example, there is a restart file in the
conus12km_2001
benchmark case, which you can download.

Note that for the whole WPS step there is a nice GUI available called the
WRF Domain Wizard (this GUI basically supports creating a namelist.wps
file).

You might be also interested in a description how we set up WRF in our
clusters: https://bi.offis.de/wisent/tiki-index.php?page=WRF-Configuration

If you like, I can send you the wrf-setup.pl script mentioned on that
page.

Regards,
Jan Ploski