[Wrf-users] LAPS gribinfo

Kim Licitar Kim.Licitar at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 29 06:08:52 MST 2008

For users of the WRF/EMS package:

If you are configuring your wrf model to use AWIPS-generated LAPS  to
hot-start your wrf model  (via lapsprep.exe) there is an entry in
../data/conf/gribinfo/laps_gribinfo.conf    that, if changed, can really
cause havoc.  This entry  is:

LOCFIL = LAPS:YYYY-MM-DD_HH:00

Here is the trap:  my  local LAPS filename from AWIPS does not have the
":00" on the end.  So I  configured as follows:    LOCFIL =
LAPS:YYYY-MM-DD_HH              BIG MISTAKE!!

When I ran the model, wrf_prep.pl  seg faulted almost immediately during
hinterp.exe.  There was no error message in the hinterp log, but the
symptoms were nearly the same as when your model domain is larger than
the size of the tiles that you initiate with.

not necessary to change the default LOCFIL entry in laps_gribinfo.conf