[Wrf-users] information

Jan Ploski Jan.Ploski at offis.de
Tue Dec 4 06:58:32 MST 2007

wrf-users-bounces at ucar.edu schrieb am 12/04/2007 12:06:37 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I need an information about a server computer. We are going to buy a
> high capacity computer which is going to be $30,000.
> Could you please inform me what kind of properties do we need for
> this computer? Like its ram, capacity, speed, processor...

Hi,

As far as I can tell based on our last year's experience, you should go
for a cluster of 2GHz Opteron dual-core nodes, 8 GB of RAM per node,
connected with InfiniBand (or InfiniPath, it doesn't really seem to
matter). Use the MPI variant (MVAPICH) and do not bother with a higher CPU
count per node and OpenMP. You could probably also live with 4 GB RAM - a
30km/10km run over Germany takes only 1 GB RAM, for example.

Actually, the poor performance of PGI's OpenMP is puzzling to me:

https://srvgrid01.offis.uni-oldenburg.de/wrf-benchmark/benchmarks.pl

Can the OpenMP results explained or at least qualitatively confirmed by
anyone?

Regards,
Jan Ploski

--