[Wrf-users] Possible WRFPOST v2.2.1 Bug

Dreher.Joe dreher.joe at ensco.com
Tue Oct 16 11:22:41 MDT 2007

Dear WRF User's,

I found a strange issue when processing GRIB files via WRF POST v2.2.1
when the "j" dimension of my grid was larger than 136 and I asked for
MSLP in my wrf_cntl.parm file.  Apparently, when I asked for this
parameter along with other 2-D parameters I would not get any surface
variables written to my GRIB files. After some debugging I discovered a
couple of lines in the code that could cause a problem. It appears that
the problem occurs on line 92 of the SLP_new.f routine in /sorc/wrfpost/
as "jj" is hardwired to 136.  You will also notice that the "ii" is also
hardwired (albeit much larger).  These values look like they are only
used for debugging/printing purposes later in this routine.  However, if
my grid dimensions are larger than these values then WRF POST quits
without writing SLP or any other subsequent surface variables.
Apparently, WRFPOST computes SLP before any of the other surface
variables, therefore if your grid was bigger than these hardwired values
(and if you asked for SLP) the code would quit before writing out any of
the others (i.e. lat, lon etc ...)

For now, I have set these two values big enough that it will not cause
any issues.  With the bigger values I now have lots of surface variables
coming out in the GRIB files, even with a large "j"dimension.

Has anyone noticed this problem?

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph G. Dreher, Meteorologist

ENSCO Inc

4849 North Wickham Road

Melbourne, FL 32940

The information contained in this email message is intended only for the use of the individuals to whom it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged and sensitive. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
sender immediately by email at the above referenced address. Thank you.