[Wrf-users] WRF on IBM world community grid

Igor Oliveira igor at egs.uct.ac.za
Wed Oct 10 09:51:13 MDT 2007

Dear WRF users,

The Climate System Analysis Group (CSAG) based at the University of
Cape Town (UCT) is pleased to announce that WRF is being used in a
joint project with a IBM to understand climate change processes in
Africa using Grid Computing. Since the beginning of September, we
made 'AfricanClimate at Home' available on www.worldcommunitygrid.org.
Any home user can log to this site, download the project agent and
start donating idle CPU time to our research by running WRF on their
local machine. We would like to thank the IBM team for their effort
in making this possible and also the feedback received from the model
developers during the process.

We would like to emphasize that this opens several opportunities for
using WRF for this kind of platform. World Community Grid is a
powerful tool used to perform the highly demanding computer
simulations that normal model users face everyday. In our case this
platform made possible to conduct the kind of research that would
take a much longer time with the usual resources we have at our
disposal.

If you could kindly take the time to learn more about the project,
these are the links:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Project Website:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/projects_showcase/ach/viewAchMain.do

Thank you all,

Igor C Oliveira
Climate System Analysis Group
Department of Environmental and Geographical Sciences
University of Cape Town
Private Bag X3
Rondebosch 7701
South Africa