[Wrf-users] question on diagnosed cloud fractions in WRF-NMM

Case, Jonathan (MSFC) Jonathan.Case at nsstc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 4 11:12:15 MDT 2007

Dear WRF community,

I was wondering how the diagnosed cloud fractions are calculated in the
WRF-NMM?

I've noticed that there are low, mid, and high cloud fractions (cfracl,
cfracm, and cfrach).

I figure there must be embedded code that empirically assigns a cloud
fraction based on a minimum cloud mixing ratio threshold, and a range of
z-levels that pre-defines the low, mid, and high layers, but I have not
yet found it in the WRF-NMM code.

For those with this familiarity, could you point me to the source code
where this is determine/defined?

What are the heights of the layers that correspond to low, mid, and
high, and the minimum mixing ratio threshold used?

Finally,  is there a citation that could be referenced for this
information.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

Jonathan Case, ENSCO, Inc.
Aerospace Sciences & Engineering Division
Short-term Prediction Research and Transition Center
320 Sparkman Drive, Room 3062
Huntsville, AL 35805-1912
Voice: (256) 961-7504   Fax: (256) 961-7788
Emails: Jonathan.Case at nsstc.nasa.gov
<mailto:Jonathan.Case at nsstc.nasa.gov>
              case.jonathan at ensco.com <mailto:case.jonathan at ensco.com>