[Wrf-users] How does WRF handle soil type outside of CONUS?

Case, Jonathan (MSFC) Jonathan.Case-1 at nasa.gov
Wed May 30 10:58:23 MDT 2007

Dear WRF community,

I have a question on how the 30-sec soiltype_top and soiltyp_bot data that WRF uses has merged data within and outside of the CONUS?
I believe that the STATSGO soil is only valid over the CONUS, however, the STATSGO 19-class soil characteristic table is used throughout WRF.
If that's so, then I'm wondering how 30-sec soil type data are achieved for the STATSGO soil properties outside of the CONUS?

Thanks for your time and feedback.
Jonathan

Jonathan Case, ENSCO, Inc.
Aerospace Sciences & Engineering Division
Short-term Prediction Research and Transition Center
320 Sparkman Drive, Room 3062
Huntsville, AL 35805-1912
Voice: (256) 961-7504   Fax: (256) 961-7788
Emails: Jonathan.Case at nsstc.nasa.gov
              case.jonathan at ensco.com