[Wrf-users] converting nmm outputs to grads

Elif SERTEL esertel at envsci.rutgers.edu
Sat May 19 18:43:38 MDT 2007

Dear Wrf users,

I have a problem while converting model outputs into grads format.
I have my NMM outputs namely wrfnmm00.tm00, wrfnmm06.tm00 ....
wrfnmm480.tm00. This data belongs to 1-20 August 2004, and it has 6 hr
interval.

I used cat command and make a big grib file from my 60 model outputs.

      ....cat wrfnmm*.tm00 case5.grb

Then I used grib2ctl function to obtain .ctl file of my grib data.

      .....grib2ctl.pl -verf case5.grb>case5.ctl

I checked the .ctl file but I got 2 hour intervals between output data
instead of 6 hours. I changed that value to 6 hours.

     .....tdef 127 linear 00Z01aug2004 6 hr

Then, I used gribmap command and have .idx file.

     .....gribmap -i case5.ctl

When I tried to plot my results in GRADS, I found out that I did not have
any data after t=44 (2004-08-11-18:00)(no data between t=44 and t=60).

To be sure about if the model output has any problem, I looked each
wrfnmm*.tm00 separately, but they seem OK.

I guess there is a problem during the conversion procedure. I need all of
my outputs in one file, otherwise it is hard to plot them. What should I
do?

Best wishes,
Elif.

--