[Wrf-users] Albedo

Juan José Ruiz jruiz at cima.fcen.uba.ar
Fri May 11 10:48:35 MDT 2007

Hi, my name is Juan Ruiz. We have been using WRF for short range forecast
and in some research experiments over South America. We have experienced
some problems with the PBL temperatures. They are usually too low. The
cold bias at low levels is present with YSU, Mellor and Yamada squemes and
also with the Noah and RUC LSM.
I have two questions:
1) Does anybody knows what might have been producing this cold bias in WRF?
2) Some of the test that we planned include changing the surface albedo.
There are specification of the albedo as a function of LANDUSE in
LANDUSE.TBL and also monthly mean albedo fields included in the static
files. How is the albedo computed in WRF? Which of this fields / tables
should be modified to perform a sensitivity test?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
Best regards.
Juan Ruiz.