[Wrf-users] Land use data!

Josh Hacker hacker at ucar.edu
Fri Mar 2 08:36:40 MST 2007

Dhanya,

There are several different ways to approach this, and it depends a lot
on what you want to do and which version of the WRF you are running.  In
general the best approach is to create a land-use data set that looks
like the input to WPS (the GEOG data).  You can look in the geogrid code
for how to read/write it.  But if you have limited needs there may be an
easier way.  To make specific recommendations we'll need more detail,
such as:  Which version of WRF are you using?  Are you planning on
running nested domains?  Will you have both land and water points?

Also, if you intend to go to a new data set that is not classified in
the same way (e.g. USGS) then you will either have to classify the land
use or you can expect to do some coding the WRF physics routines.

Josh