[Wrf-users] A Y2K problem in WRFSI?

Capehart, William J William.Capehart at sdsmt.edu
Wed Nov 22 17:38:46 MST 2006

I am trying to run a case from the 1953 with NNRP data.  In generating
the scripts for grib_prep and wrf_prep (hinterp/vinterp) the preparation
scripts are trying to force the data to be for the year 2053.  I can dig
through the WRFSI directory structure to manually get the grib_prep.exe
program to work and produce working MM5 Pregridder-style but I am not
having the same luck with that last step (wrfprep).

Here's the  text output of the PL script for wrf_prep (the same error
that happens with grib_prep.pl).

Command:

/projects/WRFSI/wrfsi/etc/wrfprep.pl -d
/projects/WRFSI/wrfsi/domains/NorthSea -l 72 -t 6 -s 1953013000

Routine: wrfprep.pl

INSTALLROOT = /projects/WRFSI/wrfsi

MOAD_DATAROOT = /projects/WRFSI/wrfsi/domains/NorthSea

Day too big - 30345 > 24855

Sec too small - 30345 < 74752

Sec too big - 30345 > 11647

Cannot handle date (0, 0, 00, 30, 0, 2053) at
/projects/WRFSI/wrfsi/etc/wrfprep.pl line 317

This is happening well before we get to anything that starts looking for
the actual grib files.  When working with more contemporary data of the
same dataset, both scripts work.

Any ideas?

Cheers and Thanks

Bill Capehart <William.Capehart at sdsmt.edu>   Associate Professor

Institute of Atmospheric Sciences         Land Surface Processes

213 Mineral Industries Building                 Hydrometeorology

South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Ph:  +1-605-394-1994

501 East Saint Joseph Street                Fax: +1-605-394-6061

Rapid City, SD 57701-3995                Mobile: +1-605-484-5692

=================== http://capehart.sdsmt.edu
<http://capehart.sdsmt.edu/>  ==================