[Wrf-users] Problem with WRFPOST on Linux

Eric L. Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Mon Nov 13 17:09:41 MST 2006

Hello,

I am trying to run the WRF-NMM postprocessor (version 2) on NCAR's Linux
cluster (lightning). I successfully built and ran WRFSI and WRF-NMM on
this machine, but WRFPOST will not run. I compiled WRFPOST for Linux, using
the codes and compiler options supplied with the standard tar file from
the DTC WRF-NMM website (i.e. I did not make any changes). The postprocessor
compiles OK but when I try to run it, using the script 'run_wrfpost' in
the scripts directory, wrfpost.exe aborts with a floating point exception.
This happens so early in the program that the print output file
(outpost_wrf_00) still has zero size when the program aborts. I've had
exactly the same problem on another Linux system, which runs a different
Linux (RHEL vs. SUSE on lightning) and a different version of the Portland
Group compiler (6.2 vs. 5.2 on lightning). But, I have gotten the post to
work fine on two NCAR IBM systems (bluesky and bluevista).

Has anyone gotten wrfpost version 2 to run on any Linux system with the PGI
compiler? Since NCAR officially supports WRF on Linux/PGI, I am
surprised that I cannot get wrfpost to run on any Linux/PGI system.

Thanks in advance for any feedback from users.

Sincerely,
Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
Calverton, MD, USA
ela at cola.iges.org