[Wrf-users] Re: wrfprep.pl and NNRP

Don Morton Don.Morton at umontana.edu
Thu Oct 26 12:11:18 MDT 2006

Hi Ricardo,

I'm afraid I can't add much, and what I can add comes from my
somewhat feeble memory (I sent an email to someone in
Colorado a couple of weeks ago with more specifics, but can't
find the email now).  The major thing that I do remember is that
Oriol had suggested putting both the surface and analysis NNRP
files in the same directory when degribbing, but that caused problems
for me that didn't really show up until I was running real.exe.  The
problems seemed related to the LSM, and I kind of wonder if
those are the same sorts of problems you're running into.

At any rate, the one major thing I did different (with respect to Oriol's
advice) is that I put my NNRP surface files in one directory, my
NNRP analysis (3D) files in a separate directory, then degribbed them
separately.  I'm guessing that when I failed to do this, the degribbing
routines were taking the wrong fields out of the wrong files.  I've learned
that grib_prep.pl is VERY sensitive to having exactly the needed files in
a directory all by themselves - even putting a subdirectory in amongst
your needed files can sometimes cause issues.

I can send you copies of my grib_prep.nl, Vtables, wrfrsi.nl, etc. later on
if you want, but I'm hoping your problem is as simple as the one I describe
above.

Cheers,

Don

On 10/25/06, Ricardo C. Almeida <rcalmeida at terra.com.br> wrote:

> Dear Don,
>
> I'm trying to run WRF (ARW) using NNRP data as input data. I was having the
> same problem you had with the surface data and made the changes recommended
> by Oriol, and prepared the input data (using wrfsi GUI).
> When I ran real. exe I had the following error message:
> .
> .
> .
>

> DYNAMICS OPTION: Eulerian Mass Coordinate
>
> Time period # 1 to process = 2005-11-01_00:00:00.
>
> Time period # 2 to process = 2005-11-01_06:00:00.
>
> Total analysis times to input = 2.

> Current date being processed: 2005-11-01_00:00:00.0000, which is loop # 1
> out of 2
>
> configflags%julyr, %julday, %gmt: 2005 305 0.0000000E+00
>
> error in the TSK
>
> i,j= 1 1
>
> landmask= 1.000000
>
> tsk, sst, tmn= 0.0000000E+00 0.0000000E+00 285.2493
>
> error in the TSK
>
> i,j= 2 1
>
> landmask= 0.0000000E+00
>
> tsk, sst, tmn= 0.0000000E+00 0.0000000E+00 9.9999999E+36
>
> -------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
>
> FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: module_initialize_real.b LINE: 420
>
> TSK unreasonable

>  In wrf namelist I set sf_surface_physics = 0. (is that correct ?)
>
> Since you have some experience on running WRF with NNRP input data I would
> like to know if you (or any other WRF user) could help me with this problem.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Ricardo C. de Almeida
> Brazilian Navy Hydrography Center

Don Morton