[Wrf-users] is wrfpost missing STAND_LON?

Rorik Peterson ffrap1 at uaf.edu
Fri Oct 20 18:19:05 MDT 2006

I recently ran into a problem with the navigation information in the
GRIB files being generated by wrfpost.  I'm working with a non-standard
grid where the vertical line of longitude (i.e. parallel to the y-axis)
is not in the center of the domain, but offset many degrees.  However,
the GRIB files being generated by wrfpost have the vertical line of
longitude listed as the domain-center longitude (octets 18-20 in the
GDS).  For example, the WRF NetCDF files have the following attributes:
                :CEN_LAT = 65.4f ;
                 :CEN_LON = -160.2f ;
                 :TRUELAT1 = 67.5f ;
                 :TRUELAT2 = 90.f ;
                 :MOAD_CEN_LAT = 65.40175f ;
                 :STAND_LON = -150.f ;

but the GRIB files has -160.2 degrees as the vertical longitude instead
of STAND_LON, or -150.  You can see a picture of this domain here:
http://pileus.arsc.alaska.edu/weather/WRFSims/NorthAlaska6/NorthAlaska6-d01/

I looked quickly through the source code for wrfpost and it appears that
wrfpost never reads the STAND_LON attribute, and proceeds to write the
CEN_LON value to GDS octets 18-20.

I'm wondering if I am wrong in my interpretation of this, or maybe I
have such a non-standard situation, no one has run into this issue before.

Thanks for any insight and help,

rorik