[Wrf-users] little_r formatted surface obs

Don Morton Don.Morton at umontana.edu
Thu Oct 19 12:34:20 MDT 2006

Howdy, I'm continuing in my efforts to get
real-world data ingested into a format that
WRF-Var can use.  Some of you pointed me
to information on the little_r format, so thank
you.  It seems straightforward enough, and
I've built a Python script to do the formatting
for me, taking a sample surface obs and putting
it in a little_r formatted file (with a type of FM-12 SYNOP).

However, the newly-created little_r file ain't
working for me - the 3DVAR obs preprocessor
doesn't like my new file, and I wonder if someone out
there might have an example of a little-r
encoding of a single surface observation
(like a METAR) that I could look at.

I'm guessing there's just some stupid, trivial
detail that I'm missing, but right now I'm just
playing trial-and-error.

Thanks for any help,

Don

--