[Wrf-users] Lambert Conformal and interpolation error code 2

Diego M. Vadell dvadell at linuxclusters.com.ar
Thu Sep 14 10:36:50 MDT 2006

Hi,
    We have just finnished installing WRFV2 (wrfnmm_si_v2.1.2,
wrfpostproc_v2.0, WRFV2.1.2 with WRF_NMM_CORE=1). The documentation is very
complete and has helped us do it almost painlessly. Now we started using it
and found a problem that we think is in the postprocessing part.

        The area selected for running the model is 60ºS to 10ºN and 90ºW
to 30ºW. The central point is 60ºW 22.14ºS. There are 101 points
in x and 139 in y, dx= 0.559 and dy=0.51944

    In the copygb.exe execution we chose "lat-lon" which translate into:

copygb.exe -xg"255 0 101 139 -54315 -100644 136  17307  -44744    559
519 0"
WRFPRS${fhr}.tm00 wrfnmm${fhr}.tm00

    Lat-lon works fine but it makes a strange graph: there is no
information (i.e. the graph is blank) for a small triangle in the left
of it. The map itself is ok, but lacks the colors. We don't know if
the colors are phased to the right or the information on the left is
missing.

    So we tried "Lambert Comformal map projection" which translate into:

copygb.exe -xg"255 3 101 139 -54315 -100644 8  -60000  59813  57090 0 64
-22140
-22140"WRFPRS${fhr}.tm00 wrfnmm${fhr}.tm00

    This gives us blank graphs, coming from empty wrfnmm${fhr}.tm00 files.
The syntax of the copybg.exe looks right; at least, the number 3 (the
second number in the arguments) means you want Lambert Comformal map
projection. I think this projection is prepared for the northern
hemisphere and not for the southern one, but I did not understand how to
change this.

    So we added (blindly) the -X flag to that line, rerun it, and got
a lot of output like:

        interpolation error code             2
 copygb read scalar field from record           476
        ...KPDS(1:24)=            7           89          255          128
          159            1            0            6            7
 26
            0            0            1            0            0
  0
            0            1          130            0           21
  2
            0            0
        interpolation error code             2
 copygb read scalar field from record           477
        ...KPDS(1:24)=            7           89          255          128
           80            1            0            6            7
 26
            0            0            1            0            0
  0
            0            1            2            0           21
  3
            0            0
        interpolation error code             2

The documentation says that "The Lambert Conformal map projection works
well for mid-latitudes", but it does not say that it will not work for
them. Google doesn't know anything about "interpolation error code 2 wrf"
either. So I'm stuck.

Does anybody know why am I getting "interpolation error code 2"? Does
anybody has any comments about this?

Thanks in advance,
 -- Diego.