[Wrf-users] Questions on the "new" WRF

Don Morton Don.Morton at umontana.edu
Thu Sep 7 11:34:45 MDT 2006

Hi, I'm seeking some information on the "next"
WRF release.  At the WRF Users' Workshop
last June, I "think" I heard the following:

- A new WRFSI (called WPS) was to be released
  around September 2006.

- A WRF v3.0 was to be released around September 2006.

- The new WPS would be producing files
  (wrf_real_em* and/or wrfinput* and wrfbdy*)
  compatible with WRFv2.

I realize that the distinction between ARW and NMM
complicates the issues, but I wonder if anybody
might be able to comment (or point me to the right
place) about current status, expected release dates,
backwards compatibility, etc.  It would be helpful
to know some of this for planning purposes (e.g. when
encountering a prospective new user of WRF, are we
doing them a disservice by exposing them to WRFSI,
etc.).

Thanks,

Don
--