[Wrf-users] 10 minute averaged wind speed

Hein Zelle zelle at argoss.nl
Wed Aug 30 07:47:13 MDT 2006

Dear WRF users,

for wind simulations using the WRF model, I would like to extract 10
minute averaged wind speeds from the model output.  After searching
the documentation I have not been able to confirm what exactly is
stored in the wrf output files.  Do the values for u and v in the
wrfout* files represent instanteneous wind components, or should I
interpret these as an average over the past time step (e.g. 1 minute)?

Google found a paper on wind gust forecasting using MM5, where it is
suggested that the output represents instantenous values, but that the
model can only represent wind speed variations of several minutes.
That could mean that a 2 minute WRF timestep with output every 10
minutes comes close to representing a 10 minute averaged wind speed.

Does anyone have experience with this?  I would like to know for sure
what the values in the output file mean (time averaged or
instanteneous).  If anyone has made a postprocessing script of some
sort to produce time averaged output fields, I would be very
interested.

Kind regards,
     Hein Zelle

--

  dr. ir. Hein Zelle

  ARGOSS, Your Partner for Marine & Coastal Information

  e-mail:  zelle at argoss.nl
  www:     http://www.argoss.nl
  address: P.O. Box 61, 8325 ZH Vollenhove,  The Netherlands
  tel:     +31 (0)527-242299
  fax:     +31 (0)527-242016

  Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer

  The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the
  use of the e-mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, or one of
  those persons, you are not allowed to take any action based upon it or to
  copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you should
  please delete it from your system.
  ARGOSS Holding BV and its subsidiaries do not accept any liability for any
  errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or its attachments which
  arise as a result of Internet transmission, nor accept liability for
  statements which are those of the author and not clearly made on behalf of
  ARGOSS.